The lawn, yard, grass or turf, without fail, more than any other one landscape element, determines the general “curb appeal” of a home.
Regardless of “how good” or well designed a landscape installation. An attractive, beautiful lawn cannot cover-up for imperfections and deficiencies in other landscape areas.
If the lawn is spotty, patchy, full of weeds, uneven with poor color and lacking vigor, with a general “unhealthy”, stressed look. The overall impression of those viewing the lawn and landscape will be less than positive.
2 Reasons Why Lawn Maintenance Is Important in Landscaping
We find two very important reasons why a quality lawn possesses such a place of prominence and importance in landscaping.
Reason #1 – the area designated as the “grass growing area” in general, is much larger than the space assigned to any other single featured element of the landscape garden.
Reason #2 – The lawn, finds its place, front and center in virtually all of the views and images which make up any good landscape planting. Anyone who has attempted to shoot a landscape photo in a garden can quickly realize this fact.
Having A Great Looking Lawn – Not Impossible
We can find plenty of examples to prove without question that you can develop a healthy lawn almost anywhere except in heavy shade.
However, you cannot establish a really good lawn even under favorable conditions without a good foundation. The foundation is the soil the grass grows on and in.
Too many property owners mistake the idea, that a smoothly raked surface, a big dose of quality lawn fertilizer and any old grass seed mixture will produce a “smooth, velvety, dark green carpet” of lawn, you see in magazines and read about.
Oliver Wendell Holmes once said, “It is something, to make two blades of grass grow where one was before.” However, it is not as difficult as you may think.
Below you’ll find lots of articles to help develop a lawn care program grouped together to guide you to become your home’s chief lawn care expert. The links below serve as a starting point and guide for improving the care of your lawn and landscape.
- Tips On Buying The Best Lawn Fertilizer For Your Yard
- Lawn Fertilization: How To Feed And Fertilize Like A Lawn Care Ninja
- Organic Lawn Care – 10 Natural Homemade Organic Fertilizer Recipes
- Complete Fertilizer: How To Choose The Right Fertilizer
- 6 Reasons To Avoid Using “Weed ‘n Feed” On Your Lawn?
Applying and Spreading Lawn Fertilizer
- The Best Spreader for Fertilizer Applications
- Video: How To Spread Fertilizer Evenly On A Yard
- Tips On Applying Liquid Lawn Fertilizer
- Liquid Fertilizer – Feed Plants Grow and Yield Better
- Lawn Fertilizer Burn
- Slow Release Fertilizer
Understand Lawn Fertilizer Numbers
- The ABC’s Of NPK Fertilizer Numbers
- Fertilizer Numbers: Learning To Read The Numbers On Fertilizer Bags
- Tips On The World Of Lawn Fertilization
- What Is The Role of Nitrogen in Lawn Fertilizers
The Role Of Lawn Lime
Lawn Watering & Irrigation
- When, How Long and How Often To Water The Lawn
- Watering The Lawn – Best Practices Of Watering The Yard And Grass
- Lawn Watering: How Often? How Much?
- 7 Tips For Lawn Irrigation And Improve The Watering Of Your Landscape
- Underground Lawn Sprinkler Systems
Lawn Care Advice & Maintenance
- Lawn Care Advice – Tips For Healthy Grass Year Round
- Questions and Answers on Lawns
- What Is The Best Soil For A Lawn?
- Waking Old and Building New Lawns
- Lawn Care Calendar – Season by Season
- How To Grow and Groom For a Lush Green Lawn
- Renovating Old Lawns
- Tips On Composting For Lawn Topdressing
- How To Make A Lawn
- Suggestions for Building Your Lawn
- Leveling Your Lawn – Tips On Low Spots
- What is Lawn Aeration? – When And Why It Is Done
How To Sow Grass Seed
Spring Lawn Care
Summer Lawn Care
Fall Lawn Care
Winter Lawn Care
Lawn Problems, Pest Control and Diseases
Lawn Pests & Insect Control
- Lawn Grubs: 7 Steps For Getting Rid Grub Worms In Your Yard
- Lawn Grubs & Other Enemies Of The Lawn Underground
- Video: Tips On Identifying Lawn Insects
Lawn Care Equipment
- Buy Lawn Mowers: Tips On Buying A Reel Or Rotary Mower
- Lawn Mower Insurance – It’s Quality Equipment & Maintenance
- Leaf Blowers – Selecting the Right Type
- Choosing Gas Powered Leaf Blowers
Lawn Care By Grass Type
Artificial Lawn & Synthetic Grass
- Synthetic Grass: Is It a Lawn Option To Consider?
- Why Synthetic Grass Is “Growing” In Popularity
- Artificial Grass Always Greener On A Patio Or Deck
- Artificial, Synthetic Grass Benefits and Costs Infographic
- Video: How To Install Artificial Grass
Types Of Lawn Grass
St Augustine Grass
- Growing Zoysia Grass – Maintenance Care Fertilizer and More
- Video: How To Care For Empire Zoysia Turf Grass In Spring
There’s a lot on the subject of Lawn Care. Sign up today for our free newsletter for updates from plantcaretoday.com to learn more.