The Croton (Codiaeum variegatum) is a well-known indoor house plant, beloved for its colorful shades and leafy foliage, not so much as flowering plants.
Cat owners want to know: Is croton toxic to cats? Yes, it most certainly is. Crotons (Codiaeum variegatum) are poisonous plants and can cause several health problems for our furry friends.
The Croton plant is colorful, vibrant, and brightens up any space. Lighting from eastern and western windows creates a nice pop of color and adds texture to any viable room in your home.
There are ways to handle crotons safely and include them in your home, even if you have cats. You’ll also be surprised to learn – cats may want nothing to do with your croton plant in the first place.
What Parts of Croton Are Poisonous or Toxic?
Every single aspect of the croton plant is poisonous. Even the ASPCA agrees:
- The leaves
- The roots
- Any flowers they produce
- Even the stems
100% of these toxic plants are poisonous to cats and humans
All Croton plant varieties produce a sticky milky sap. Because this is in a liquidized form and not a solid. Touching this toxic ingredient (even for humans) can cause near-immediate skin irritation and contact dermatitis.
Later on, we discuss handling procedures for crotons to help you stay safe when planting, transplanting or moving them.
Related: Are Crotons Toxic To Humans
What Are the Symptoms of Croton Poisoning?
Your cat may experience some mild to severe symptoms, some of which will not display immediately. Symptoms can occur post-ingestion, depending on how long it takes to work its way through your cat’s system.
Common symptoms are:
- Skin irritation
- Digestion issues
- Excessive drooling
- Mouth sores
Some of these can be difficult to see in cats. Check your cat’s litter box for signs of improper stools. If you notice your cat is drooling at all (very uncommon for cats), you should be concerned.
If your cat is experiencing digestive issues, it can be hard to diagnose them. Your cat may seem extra jumpy. They may meow more often or may refuse to eat or drink anything.
Their bodies will signal to them that something is wrong. It’s up to you to look for the sign
Croton can become fatal to your cat. Many cats identify mouth pain and stop eating this bitter plant. Excessive or prolonged ingestion may result in breathing difficulties that could eventually lead to fatality.
How To Protect Yourself While Handling Croton
Are croton plants safe for cats? Technically, no, but they’re also not entirely safe for you to handle either.
When handling crotons, follow these guidelines:
- Use gloves even when not directly interacting with the plant.
- Change your clothing after handling or moving crotons.
- Try to keep croton away from fans and air conditioning vents.
- Ensure that water runoff from croton is contained and not spill into your home.
The toxic plant Croton has a low toxicity level to humans. But, it’s still important to exercise safety and caution when using it. Croton is only harmful if ingested by either you or your cat.
Cats Generally Don’t Like the Taste of Croton
Is the croton a toxic plant to cats? 100%.
Your cat might not even want to chew on this house plant in the first place. Cats will use their mouths to taste something or test its durability (like when they play with new toys).
But the taste of croton is very bitter and off-putting to cats.
Having a croton plant and owning one or more cats is possible. Ingesting croton plants is dangerous for cats. But, if you introduce your cat to the plant and let the cat get acquainted (with your supervision), you’ll be able to see how they interact with it.
If the cat begins chewing on it, remove the plant and let them know this isn’t okay.
Monitor their reaction to see if they dislike the taste. But, for more cat owners, having croton in your home isn’t worth the risk.
NOTE: Animal Poison Control Center Helpline 1-800-222-1222