Is The Rose Of Sharon Poisonous To Dogs?

Pinterest Hidden Image

The Rose of Sharon plant is excellent for any garden or landscaping space. These plants have a beautiful, almost tropical look and come in various stunning colors. 

However, there is a concern about whether or not the Rose of Sharon is poisonous to dogs if ingested. And if so, how can you keep your dog safe? 

Rose of Sharon and DogsPin

Keep reading to learn more about the toxic effects of the rose of Sharon on dogs.

Is Rose Of Sharon Hibiscus Toxic To Dogs?

While the Rose of Sharon is a type of hibiscus, and most are non-toxic, this variety is harmful to your pets. The compound that makes it toxic is unknown and present in the flowers and stems. 

In addition, this particular flower has a pleasant taste that may appeal to dogs, making it very tempting for your canine to ingest significant quantities of this plant if given the opportunity. 

Rose Of Sharon Poisoning In Dogs

Like many other plants, the rose of Sharon can be poisonous to dogs if ingested. 

The most common symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy; however it may cause more severe problems, such as kidney failure or death if consumed in large quantities or over an extended period.

Signs And Symptoms Of Rose Of Sharon Poisoning In Dogs

The signs of rose of Sharon poisoning in dogs vary depending on how much of the plant was consumed and how long ago it was eaten.

However, some symptoms are common regardless of how much time has elapsed since ingestion occurred.

Signs and symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Dehydration
  • Loss of appetite
  • Abdominal pain

How To Prevent The Rose Of Sharon Poisoning In Dogs? 

The best way to prevent Rose Of Sharon poisoning in dogs is to keep them away from it altogether, but if you have one in your yard, make sure they don’t eat any parts of the plant or dig up the roots. 

If your dog has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately, as treatment may be necessary.

Restrict Access

If you want to grow Rose of Sharon, you can always plant it in an area your dog does not have access to, like in the front of your house. 

Then, if you realize that you have one in a place where your dog goes, you can supervise them when they are in that area to make sure they don’t eat any of it.

Grow It In A Pot

These versatile plants can also be grown in containers, so if necessary, you can plant one in a pot on your patio or anywhere your dog can’t get to it.

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats Rose Of Sharon Leaves?

There are several things you should do if your dog eats a large amount of rose of Sharon leaves:

  • Call your vet right away
  • Monitor your dog’s behavior closely after they’ve eaten the plant material
  • If possible, try to prevent them from eating any more of it 

Your vet will probably have you bring the dog in for an examination, depending on how much they have ingested. They may also administer fluids to combat dehydration and give them medicine to protect the stomach lining from damage.

Take your dog to the vet immediately if they have vomiting that lasts more than 12 to 24 hours, has blood in the vomit, and shows signs of severe dehydration.

This lovely flowering shrub can be a beautiful addition to your home or garden. However, because of its toxicity to dogs, you should keep pets well away from the area. 

In addition, it is recommended that you buy the plant at the end of winter so that the roots are already well-established in the ground.

What Is The Rose Of Sharon?

The Rose of Sharon, a type of Hibiscus, is a perennial shrub that grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 through 10. 

Another name for it is shrub althaea. It’s known for its large, showy blooms that come in shades of red or pink and can last up to four months.

Most Hibiscus is non-toxic, but not all types of Hibiscus are the same. There are different varieties, and they all have different effects if ingested.

Where Does The Rose Of Sharon Come From?

The Rose of Sharon originally comes from China and parts of India. It was originally planted as an ornamental shrub or hedge in the United States because of its beautiful flowers and colorful foliage. 

It’s available at most nurseries across the country now, so you can use it in your yard or garden!

How To Tell Rose Of Sharon Plants From Other Hibiscus Plants?

There are many types of hibiscus that have similar traits. Therefore, it may be hard to tell what type of hibiscus plant you have in your yard. 

However, if you have a dog and are concerned about toxicity, there are ways to recognize and identify the Rose of Sharon.

  • The Rose of Sharon is a shrub that grows tall and wide like a tree. It can grow from 8′ to 12′ feet in height.
  • The petals are flat and have a double set of smaller petals near the center of the flower.
  • The bushes have purple, pink, and white flowers—from the top down. Each flower has a bright-red center that looks like a bullseye; its leaves are shiny green but look dark compared to other plants.

Recommended Reading

JOIN Our FREE Plant Care Newsletter 

By entering your email address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from Plant Care Today. We'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time.