Many people enjoy their yard but do not want the hassle of… lawn care and mowing a lawn.
These turfgrass statistics from thelawninstitute.org may surprise you:
- Grass plants are 75 to 80% water, by weight.
- Up to 90% of the weight of a grass plant is in its roots.
- One ton of grass clippings will contribute only 200 pounds of decayed matter to a landfill.
- A lawn, 50 by 50 feet releases enough oxygen for a family of four, while absorbing carbon dioxide, ozone, hydrogen fluoride, and peroxyacetyl nitrate.
- As part of a well-designed and maintained landscape, turfgrass increases a home’s property value by 15 to 20%.
Others want nothing to do with a lawn and do their part in using less chemicals and prevent fertilizer run off. Whatever their reasons Sunset has 21 inspiring lawn-free yards at: