Is Hibiscus Poisonous Or Toxic To Dogs?

Pinterest Hidden Image

Who doesn’t like a tropical feel at their home? Having a Hibiscus tree or bush is a great way to bring out the exotic feel and add a rich charm to your garden.

dog outdoors with Hibiscus plant and flowersPin

There are two types of Hibiscus plants:

  • The perennial type blossoms in the summer but dies out in the winter. These Hibiscuses grow like shrubs. 
  • The tropical Hibiscus blossoms in the summer but should live inside the house for the winter season.

Both types display bright, colorful, and oversized flowers, but the tropical Hibiscus blooms longer.

How To Choose The Best Hibiscus

You must understand which type of Hibiscus will do best in your environment.

The tropical Hibiscus needs moist but fully-drained soil and full sunlight. On the other hand, for the perennial Hibiscus, you will need moist soil.

Keep tropical plants indoors until the average night-time temperatures remain above 50° degrees Fahrenheit.

The best time to plant perennial Hibiscus is in early spring to allow the plant a full growing season. This way, they will bloom better the next year with a well-established root system.

How Do I Ensure My Hibiscus Grows Well?

The key is to water the perennial Hibiscus plant thoroughly for the first few days after planting. After the first two weeks, water once a week unless it has rained heavily for many days.

Check that the tropical Hibiscus is well hydrated by inserting your finger in the top layer of the soil. It must remain moist for the flowers to bloom well. Water less during the winter months.

Is Hibiscus Poisonous For My Dog?

Hibiscus may attract your pets with its bright, radiant colors and they may ingest the plant. Most of the time, that should not be a problem.

If the Hibiscus is the Rose of Sharon, also known as Hibiscus Syriacus,  you want to stay on your toes with your furry little friend.

These Hibiscus are especially poisonous for cats. If a dog ingests a large amount, it can experience nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting, drooling, and severe loss of appetite. Your pet will need to see your veterinarian immediately.

Though not all Hibiscus plants are toxic for your dogs, make sure you keep them out of reach for safety purposes. They can make your dog ill in large doses.

The best way to ensure your dog’s safety is to watch its activities around any variety of Hibiscus inside the house and outside in the backyard.Remember, not all items humans can ingest are healthy for our pets.

JOIN Our FREE Plant Care Newsletter 

By entering your email address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from Plant Care Today. We'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time.