Baking soda is a vital part of green cleaning and has so many uses in the house, but what about the garden. Here are 7 ways to use it in the garden.
1. Make a Non-Toxic Fungicide
Mix 4 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 gallon of water. Use on roses for black spot fungus and also on grapes and vines when fruit first begins to appear.
2. Spray to Treat and Prevent Powdery Mildew
Powdery mildew is causing major problems with impatiens this year, but also can be a problem for other plants, like lilacs, cucumbers, squash and zinnias.
Spray Recipe: 1 tablespoon of baking soda, 1 gallon of water, 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon of dishwashing liquid
Mix all the ingredients together and spray plants weekly. Apply on overcast days to prevent any potential foliage from burning.
3. Discourage Gnats In Soil & Fungus on Leaves
Mix in 1 gallon of water, 4 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon biodegradable soap. Mix well, spray infected foliage or soil as needed.
4. Discourage Weeds
Pour or sweep baking soda in a thick layer into cracks on a sidewalk or patios. The baking soda should kill any small weeds already sprouted and prevent new ones from coming up.
5. Kill Cabbage Worms
Mix equals parts flour and baking soda and dust plants (cabbage, broccoli, kale) being eaten by cabbage worms. They much on the leaves and die usually in a day or two. Repeat as needed.
6. Kill Crabgrass
Simply wet the crabgrass, pour a heavy dusting of baking soda on the weed. The crabgrass should start dying back in 2 or 3 days. CAUTION: When applying baking try NOT to get it on your grass as too much baking soda can burn and kill it.
7. Clean Your Hands
After a day in the garden and dirt, clean your hands by rubbing and scrubbing wet hands with baking soda. Rinse.
I hope you enjoyed these baking soda tips and they come in handy helping you live a greener life!
Protect Your Family From Toxic Products and Medications...Begin with this life changing eBook where you will find:
- Natural Home Remedies - Discover how to live a healthier life with more natural remedies to treat illness you can make at home using natural ingredients like coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Chemical Free Home - Say goodbye to all the toxic cleaning products used in your home. You'll save money with over 30+ DIY Household Products and Cleaning recipes.
- All Natural Beauty Recipes - Great skin, beautiful hair and everyone will be wanting to know your "looking younger all natural secrets"
What To Do This Month - November
Every month there are things to do in the garden and November is no different. However, the garden is not just veggies but flowers, lawns and greenhouse.
As the season changes the - garden - is a wonderful place to hang out with lots to do! Find out what to do at: November Gardening To Do List: Flowers, Veggies Lawn and More