Are Snake Plants Poisonous Or Toxic To Dogs?

Snake plants, aka Sansevieria trifasciata, are popular indoor plants native to Africa. The plant has stiff, upright, blade-like leaves with a yellow or white edge. 

They are commonly used as houseplants because of their sharp appearance and low maintenance care and thrive best in warm temperatures between 65° and 80° degrees Fahrenheit. 

Portrait of white short hair chihuahua dog sitting by the basket of Snake plant (Sansevieria)Pin
Does your dog chew on your Snake Plant? | Phuttharak-DepositPhotos

Snake plants goes by the common names:

  • Mother-in-Law’s Tongue
  • Good Luck Plant
  • Golden Birds Nest
  • Viper’s Bowstring Hemp
Table Of Contents

Due to their robust nature, snake plants can easily grow indoors and outdoors. They can live in direct or indirect sunlight and don’t require much water to survive. Overwatering is a problem that’s faced when a snake plant isn’t cared for correctly.

You should handle its leaves with care since the leaf blade stops growing if the tip breaks.

Snake plants are also excellent for removing C02 and other pollutants from the air and releasing fresh oxygen at night. The plant can also filter the air for allergens, making it a must-have for people with allergies. 

Some people use the material found in snake plants to treat fungal infections and create cosmetics. Although people use this plant for positive reasons, the plant may leave problems at home due to factors we don’t think about. 

We may not think about the properties of the snake plant, but we should be aware of whose health it may affect. But is the snake plant toxic to dogs?

NOTE: The plants in the Sansevieria genus have been reclassified to the Dracaena genus. The scientific name for Sansevieria trifasciata is now Dracaena trifasciata.

Is The Sansevieria Poisonous or a Toxic Plant?

In ordinary circumstances, humans are typically safe from snake plants and show no signs of toxicity. Minimal contact with it or wafting its fumes won’t cause damage to you. However, they are toxic to pets.

So, are snake plants poisonous to dogs? Yes, the Mother in Law Tongue is poisonous to dogs. The plant is also harmful to cats, horses, and children if ingested.

Although the plant has mild toxicity when swallowed, eating the plant in excess will cause more harm to your pet. The plant’s pleasing shape might draw a curious or bored dog’s attention if left unattended. The bitter taste may keep them away.

Related: Is Sansevieria Poisonous to Humans? | Is Pothos Toxic to Dogs?

What Parts Are The Mother In Laws Tongue Are Poisonous or Toxic?

Since its leaves are a primary feature, all parts of the Mother-in-Law’s Tongue are toxic. 

The toxicity is primarily due to the saponins found in the plant’s leaves that act as natural insecticides. If swallowed in large quantities, they’ll harm the consumer.

What Are the Symptoms of Snake Plant Poisoning?

One symptom of snake plant poisoning includes swelling or numbness of the tongue if eaten. It may cause an allergic reaction to the throat if chewed or swallowed. It doesn’t cause dermatitis through contact with humans. 

If a dog swallows it, some of the symptoms of poisoning you should look out for include:

  • Nausea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Depression
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting with occasional blood. 

Cats eating snake plants may have dilated pupils resulting from the consumption of Mother-in-Law’s Tongue. 

Popular Snake Plant Varieties Found In The Home

How to Protect Yourself and Your Dog When Handling Snake Plants

If you can, keep snake plants away from dogs, cats, young children, and other animals as much as you can if you don’t remove them from your house permanently. 

If you do handle the plant, wear gloves to keep the saponins off of your hands. 

You may also want to wash your hands after handling the plant to avoid accidentally getting the plant fluid in your eyes or mouth. 

If your dog shows signs of ingesting a snake plant, contact your veterinarian as soon as you can for immediate help.

The snake plant makes an excellent addition to your house with its unique shape and ability to purify the air without extensive care.

Still, you should be aware that it may be poisonous to your dog if not properly watched. It’s better to stay safe than risk the life of your dog for a pretty plant.

JOIN Our FREE Plant Care Newsletter 

By entering your email address you agree to receive a daily email newsletter from Plant Care Today. We'll respect your privacy and unsubscribe at any time.